How do I apply for Financial Aid?

If you wish to apply for federal or state grants, work study or student loans, you must submit the following by the priority deadline: April 15.
  1. The Free Application for Federal Student Financial Aid (FAFSA)
  2. The CWC Admissions Application
  3. An official high school transcript upon graduation
  4. Request all college transcripts to be sent to the CWC Records office by August 1.
  5. Provide an official IRS Tax Transcript for you and your parents (if a dependent student) from the previous year.

What is FAFSA?

It is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. It is required for any student applying for federal or state grants, work study or any of the Federal Family Education Loan programs. It is recommended you complete your FAFSA as soon as you and/or your parents have filed your taxes for the previous year. The FAFSA is on-line at


I received an Incomplete File Notice, what does this mean?

The U.S. Department of Education or the Office of Financial Aid may, at any time, select your application for verification based upon the information you have provided. We are required to make sure that all aid is awarded to students according to federal, state, and institutional regulations. If selected, the verification process must be completed before financial aid can be awarded.  It's very important that the listed documentation is submitted as soon as possible to avoid delays in processing.




What is the average financial aid award at CWC?

In previous years, the average award has exceeded $2,000 for all aid recipients.


Classes begin in two weeks, can I still apply for federal aid?

Yes; it is possible to apply for aid anytime during the academic year. However, it can often take in excess of 4 weeks to complete the processing of your application in our office.  Students are expected to pay all tuition and fees at the Cashier's window or make arrangements for a payment plan in the Business Office by the first day of classes. Payments can also be made on-line with a credit card by logging into WebAdvisor. 


I want to apply for federal student loans, what do I do?

There are several steps students must complete in order for the financial aid office to process a student loan.  Students must complete a FAFSA to qualify.  Once the student's file has been processed the financial aid office will mail the student an award letter along with information of his/her loan eligibility.  It's extremely important students have accurate mailing information on file.  Failure to keep information up-to-date can delay financial aid.


What else do I need to do to receive a student loan?

1)  All first-time borrowers at this institution are required to enroll in and pass with a C or better FIN-1001 (Personal Finance Planning course.)  To register for FIN-1001 contact your academic advisor.

2)  All first-time borrowers at this institution are required to attend ONE Entrance Loan Counseling workshop before any loan funds can be disbursed.  Workshops are held every Tuesday during the semester at 4 pm in room MH179.

3)  Students must select a disbursement pay method before any excess funds can be disbursed to the student.  For more information

4) Students must be actively engaged and in attendance at the time of disbursement.

5)Exit Counseling (online): All students who borrow at any time during the academic year are required to complete an Exit Loan Counseling course prior to the of the academic year. 


What if I'm unable to repay my student loan?

If you are having trouble making payments on a loan, you must immediately contact your loan servicer.  If you don't make your loan payments, you risk going into default. Defaulting on your loan has serious consequences.  Check out the US Department of Education's website for options and information concerning your student loans.





Are there scholarships for part-time students?

Yes. There are several scholarships available to new and returning students enrolled part-time (minimum of six credits and less than 12 credits.)


Are there scholarships for students in specific programs?

There are scholarships in almost every program offered at CWC.  Browse the list of available major specific scholarships today.


Do you give preference to minority students?

CWC has a very culturally diverse student population and there are numerous scholarships specifically dedicated to Native American and minority students.


Do you have athletic scholarships?

Students participating on the CWC Rodeo Teams, Men's or Women's Basketball, and Women's Volleyball may apply for activity specific scholarships.


Do you have scholarships specifically for non-traditional students?

There are several general academic and private donor scholarships that non-traditional students may apply for consideration.


May I apply for activity scholarships in music, art and theater even if I'm not majoring in those areas?

Yes. You don't have to major in music, art and theater to qualify for one of the scholarships, but you may be required to participate in a department activity, such as a play, a performance group or the Great Art Group.


Do you provide scholarships to National Merit semi-finalists?

Yes. If the recipient resides on campus, the scholarship includes 100 percent of in-state tuition and general academic fees, books & supplies, room and board. It is an automatic award to all Wyoming National Merit Semi-Finalists and it is a maximum two-year award.


What is the Student Ambassador scholarship?

The $3,000 award is for eligible students with a minimum cumulative of 3.0 GPA who show special promise to be leaders in the classroom and in campus activities. Student Ambassadors donate 30 hours each semester in campus & community work, such a giving campus tours.


When is the deadline to apply for scholarships?

The deadline for completing the scholarship application is March 1 of each year. Applications received after this date will be considered on a funds-available basis only. If you wish to apply for the Hathaway, CWC Honors, CWC Seniors, or the Fremont County Graduate Stipend, you must apply for admission and submit your seven-semester transcript by June 1.


How large is your scholarship package?

Central Wyoming College is committed to recognizing academic achievement by offering more than $700,000 annually in merit scholarships to CWC students.



Wyoming Hathaway Scholarship Program


Who qualifies for the Hathaway Scholarship?

The Hathaway scholarship is intended to make higher education affordable for Wyoming high school graduates.  Students must complete success curriculum to qualify and meet GPA and ACT/SAT score requirements.


What if I am home-schooled?

There is no high school GPA requirement for home-based education programs or for students who receive a GED. Students who receive home-based education must submit to their postsecondary institution a list of classes they successfully completed and their ACT or WorkKeys score. 


What if I received a GED or HiSET?

Students who complete high school through a High School Equivalency must submit their official GED or HiSET scores along with their ACT or WorkKeys scores to the financial aid office.  GED/HiSET applicants must have attended a Wyoming high school and are not eligible to receive Hathaway funding until their high school class has graduated.


I qualify the Hathaway Scholarship; however, I plan to transfer to UW. How does the process work?

Students who receive a Hathaway Scholarship, may transfer to UW subject to the continued eligibility requirements and completion of required paperwork.  Contact the financial aid office for more information.


What if I am going on a mission or am going in to the military?

Students must apply for Hathaway within two years of high school graduation date and enroll by the following fall semester.  Home school students must apply prior to their 21st birthday.  Exceptions may be made for extended military service or religious sojourns.  Contact the financial aid office to learn more about the required documentation needed to receive an exception.


 For more information about the Wyoming Hathaway Scholarship program check out the Wyoming Department of Education's website.




Financial Aid
Main Hall

307-855-2092 Fax
Email: Financial Aid



Consistent with its mission to value diversity and to treat all individuals with dignity and respect, Central Wyoming College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, or disability in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in its educational program services or activities. The college makes reasonable accommodations to serve students with special needs and offers services to students who have the ability to benefit.
©2010 Central Wyoming College - All Rights Reserved