How and where does my student buy books?

We have a full-service bookstore on campus, to serve the needs of your student.  Book lists for classes are typically available about 2-3 weeks prior to the start of the semester.  You can view the current semester booklist by going to the CWC Bookstore section for information on the books required for each class and the estimated cost. You can also place your textbook order by telephone, fax, or e-mail. Details are available at the Bookstore. You will need to include the Course number, book title and your physical street address, phone number and credit card information. You will be contacted by the Bookstore on the availability of new and used books and to let you know if there are any problems filling your order. Or you can contact the Bookstore at 1-307-855-2201 or 1-800-735-8418 ext. 2201. The Bookstore ships book orders via UPS so that they have a traceable method at the current shipping rates.

How can I get information on my student?

Colleges and universities are covered by a federal law, the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which essentially states parents have no immediate access to information on their student. To address this issue, Central encourages students to sign a release form  prior to starting classes so that we can talk to you about issues such as payment, problems in classes, and involvement in activities. Contact the Records and Research Office  if you have questions.

How do I know if my student is struggling academically or having other problems?

Without a signed release, we cannot talk to you about it, and we do not automatically contact parents unless the student is endangering himself or someone else. The Counseling Center coordinates a weekly meeting of various staff members throughout the academic semester to talk about students of concern, so that we can intervene early to try and prevent problems from occurring – we get referrals from faculty, staff, fellow students, and sometimes even the parents.

Encourage your student to sign the information release so we can talk to you about the problems but also ask your student questions. At mid-term, for example, many instructors post deficient grades for anyone who has Ds or Fs in their classes – ask your student to see those mid-term reports.

How does my student apply for scholarships?

To receive full consideration for general scholarships, your student's admission materials must be on file with Central Wyoming College. The Financial Aid Office has more information about specific programs and applying for financial aid, but it is a highly recommended that every student fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), regardless of how they will be paying for school – you just never know when they may be able to receive financial assistance, and since it takes 4-6 weeks to process a FAFSA, that time can be critical, so having one already completed saves a lot of time and may indicate the availability of extra financial assistance to your student.

How safe is the campus?

We have a very safe campus, but it is important for any student to do everything they can to maintain their own safety, including locking vehicles, doors, and being aware of their surroundings at all times.  Our Campus Safety Department   coordinates a 24-hour presence on campus, as well as working with Housing staff to provide excellent coverage.  They interface directly with our local police department.  If you are interested, take a look at our Campus Safety Report to see the history of campus crime at CWC.

Is my student automatically covered by health insurance?

No, Central does not have a required health insurance policy nor do we have a health center on campus. Many students may still be covered by your own insurance policy but there are also inexpensive policies that can be purchased specifically for college students.  Contact the Vice President for Student Services Office for more information.

What happens if my student is struggling with the transition to college life?

If your student is having a hard time with the life-changing transition to college, we have a counseling service that is free of charge to our students! Your student has the opportunity to get help with day to day problems, or our counselors can also help students answer the age old question of what they want to do for a career. Our Counseling Department would be happy to help your student in any case.

What is the Parent’s PLUS Loan?

The Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is a federal direct loan that parents apply for on behalf of their dependent undergraduate student(s). It enables parents with good credit history to assist their children who are enrolled at least half time (6 credits per semester) at a post-secondary school. The loan's interest rate is variable. Each July 1 it will change; however, it will never exceed 9 percent.
For your convenience, the FAFSA site has specific PLUS Loan information.

When is tuition due, and how do we pay tuition?

Tuition is due by the first day of classes. You can send checks to:
Student Accounts/Cashier's office
2660 Peck Ave.
Riverton, WY 82501
You can also pay at the Cashier’s office on campus and also pay on-line by going to myCentral and having your student take you into Web Advisor.

Will my student’s coursework transfer to a university after he/she attends Central?

Yes, however, your student needs to be aware of a few things: developmental courses (numbers less than 1000) do not transfer; occupational courses in AAS, Certificate, and Credential programs are not designed for transfer; D and F grades will not transfer; and numerous major changes may result in completed coursework that is transferable but does not fulfill a desired niche at the transfer institution.

It is a good idea to make sure your students makes contact with the institution they plan to transfer to and get it in writing from the Registrar that questionable courses will transfer, to make sure that the courses they take here are transferable, and make sure they keep copies of syllabi and a College catalog so they can provide them in case an institution has questions.  For more information, your student should talk to their academic advisor or talk to the Records and Research Office.


CWC Admissions Office
Administrative Wing AW160
Email: Admissions


Consistent with its mission to value diversity and to treat all individuals with dignity and respect, Central Wyoming College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, or disability in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in its educational program services or activities. The college makes reasonable accommodations to serve students with special needs and offers services to students who have the ability to benefit.
©2010 Central Wyoming College - All Rights Reserved