Practical Information


Your "full-meal" ticket provides you with 17 meals per week (three meals Monday-Friday and a "brunch" on Saturday and Sunday). The Food Court serves 17 meals a week. The Food Court is also open 7 a.m. through 6:30 p.m. continuously for snack items, fruits, salads and drinks, and will provide special menus for those with dietary restrictions.

Microwave ovens are available in the dorms and may also be rented for a small fee. There are several grocery stores in town where you may purchase food and personal items. There are also several "fast-food" restaurants within a mile of the campus. If you have any special dietary requirements, you may discuss it with the cafeteria staff.

Many students in the housing area have their own cars and usually students car-pool to downtown or to the stores. If you need any assistance, please contact the housing office.


There are pay phones available on each floor in the Residence Hall. If you have been assigned an apartment, you may install your own private phone. Contact the phone company or the housing office for more information. The mailroom is located in the Student Center. You will receive a mailbox key. Your mailing address will be:
Your Name
Assigned Box Number
Central Wyoming College Housing
2660 Peck Avenue
Riverton, WY 82501

Telephone Service
Students wishing to have a telephone hookup must contact Qwest at 1-307-771-6924. Basic cost is approximately $20 per month. All long distance calls are extra. Students will receive a monthly statement that must be paid directly to Qwest.

The address for the phone hook-up is 821 North Hill Street. This address is different from your mailing address but must be used when ordering phone service.


Television Service
There are televisions located in each of the lounge areas in the dorm and in the Student Center. There is no cable hook-up in the individual dorm rooms. Students may have televisions, but they will not be able to pick-up cable. Apartments are furnished with cable TV and HBO (Home Box Office)

There are several department stores in town to buy clothing, personal items, etc. The College Bookstore also carries postage stamps and other items for personal care.

Handling Money
The College Business Office accepts traveler's checks and cashier's checks. You may also open a personal account in any of the local banks. DO NOT KEEP LARGE SUMS OF MONEY IN YOUR ROOM OR APARTMENT.

Banking Services
International students should keep their money in a bank. They should not keep large sums of money in residence hall rooms. Students should have a checking and savings account to make purchasing in the local area easier. In order to open a savings account, you must have a social security number.


American Money
The dollar is the medium of exchange in the United States. The smallest form of U.S. currency is the cent or penny. There are 100 cents in one dollar.($1). Coins are mostly used in public telephones, washers and dryers in Laundromats, self-service machines and vending machines that offer soft drinks, newspapers, coffee and candy (sweets).

American paper money is all the same color (green) and comes in $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100, dollar denominations.

The Penny (1 cent) is copper-colored.
The Nickel (5 cents) is dull silver in color.
The Dime (10 cents) is silver-colored, but smaller than the nickel.
The Quarter (25 cents) is silver-colored, but larger than the nickel.
The Half-Dollar (50 cents) is silver and larger than the rest, but not widely used.
The Silver Dollar ($1) is the largest of all coin money, but seldom used.


Checking Account
This is a convenient way to use banking services. You can open a checking account at any bank. An identification card and the amount you want to deposit into the bank are all you need. The bank will issue a booklet of checks, which you can use to withdraw money from your account. Students who set up checking accounts are usually offered an ATM/debit card as well.  Note: that it is illegal to knowingly write checks without sufficient money to cover them. Some banks offer free checking account to students. Free checking accounts have no service charges.

Savings Account
If you have money which you do not intend to use in the near future, you can deposit it into a savings account where it can earn interest.

Laundry facilities are located in the housing complex. Other personal services are available within a short distance. Contact the housing office for details.


Health Care
Health care is very expensive in the U.S. Most Americans purchase medical or accident insurance to help pay for much of this high cost, especially for hospitalization, surgery, and and emergency treatment. The international student is STRONGLY URGED to purchase a medical insurance policy while enrolled at Central Wyoming College. Forms and information may be obtained in the Vice President of Student Services office.
Driver's License
International students wishing to drive in the U.S. must have a valid International Drivers License or a Wyoming Driver's License. Any international student planning to drive in the U.S. must also have liability insurance coverage. We recommend that you obtain full coverage. A list of insurance carriers is available from the International Student Advisor.

Hitch-hikers are people who travel by asking rides from motorists on the road. They do this by "thumbing." (Standing by the side of the road with their thumb in the air).

Consistent with its mission to value diversity and to treat all individuals with dignity and respect, Central Wyoming College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, or disability in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in its educational program services or activities. The college makes reasonable accommodations to serve students with special needs and offers services to students who have the ability to benefit.
©2010 Central Wyoming College - All Rights Reserved