Do I have to live on campus my first year?

No, CWC does not require students to live on campus.

Do I need my high school transcripts to apply?

Yes, you need to have your high school transcripts mailed to:
Central Wyoming College
Registration & Records
2660 Peck Ave.
Riverton WY 82501

Do I need to take an entrance exam?

If you have your recent ACT scores mailed to CWC's Registration & Records Office, or if you are a returning college student, you will not need to take a placement test. If you do not have recent ACT scores, you will need to take the Compass Placement Test.

Do you have an intercollegiate athletics program?

CWC participates in intercollegiate women's volleyball, men's and women's basketball, men's and women's rodeo.

Do you have housing for families?

Yes. CWC has apartments for families. Please see the Policies Page for more information.

How does my student apply for scholarships?

To receive full consideration for general scholarships, your student's admission materials must be on file with Central Wyoming College. The Financial Aid Office has more information about specific programs and applying for financial aid, but it is a highly recommended that every student fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), regardless of how they will be paying for school – you just never know when they may be able to receive financial assistance, and since it takes 4-6 weeks to process a FAFSA, that time can be critical, so having one already completed saves a lot of time and may indicate the availability of extra financial assistance to your student.

What if I don't have my high school transcripts?

If you don't have high school transcripts because you were home schooled or earned a GED, you may still apply to attend CWC. You will be required to take a Compass Placement Test.

What is the Central Wyoming Campus like?

The CWC campus is located next to the beautiful Wind River Mountains. The campus is small with beautiful trees and acres of green lawn. CWC has the look and feel of a traditional community college campus, yet continues to be on the cutting edge of technology. Students enjoy short walks to classes, recreational activities, and a safe and secure environment. For more information on the campus and activities, Life @ Central.

What is the weather like in Riverton?

The average temperature is 44 degrees F, the lowest average minimum temperature is 17 degrees F, and the highest average minimum daily temperature is 82 degrees F. Keep in mind these figures include the whole year.

When is New Student Orientation?

New Student Orientation consists of a series of events for both you and your student. A Fall and Spring Orientation Program is offered on campus just prior to the start of the term. Information regarding the times, dates and locations is mailed to admitted students. Contact Academic Advising for more information.


Are CWC distance courses accredited?

Yes. All CWC credit distance classes are accredited through North Central Association. They are fully equivalent to on-campus courses.

Are distance courses easier than traditional face-to-face classes?

Distance courses are often more challenging than traditional face-to-face classes. This is because distance learning students need to be self-motivated and have good study skills. Courses require active participation through frequent online and telephonic communication with instructors and other students; these courses are best suited for people who can manage their own time and take responsibility for their own education. Take our quiz to see if you have the skills necessary to be successful in a distance course.

Can I start a course at any time?

No, CWC distance courses are offered at specific times during the fall, spring, and summer semesters. You will be expected to follow each course's schedule as outlined in schedule of courses for each semester, and the course syllabus.

Can I use financial aid with these courses?

Yes. Students taking courses through Central Wyoming College may be eligible for financial aid. To determine if you are eligible, you should contact the financial aid office at CWC. Students are typically entitled to the same level of financial regardless of their status as an on campus or distance student.

Do I need to visit the campus?

Typically you will not need to come to the main CWC campus to access and complete your distance course. In most cases, all class requirements may be met at a distance. Depending on the course, you may need to come to campus to attend a mandatory orientation session, participate in a lab component and / or take tests. Contact the instructor for details as this will vary from course to course. However, as a general rule you are able to fully participate in most distance classes without setting foot on the CWC campus. Please remember that as a distance student you are an important part of this college and are always welcome.

How do I get to my online course?

After you have registered for your course, you can access this course in one of two ways. The first way is by logging in to your course through Angel via myCentral. If you are registered for an online course, you will receive instructions in the mail.  It is recommended that you access your course within the first couple of days of its start date. Courses are available the first day of the semester and you will need your user name and password to access the course.

How do I register for courses?

You register for distance courses just as you would register for on-campus courses. You need not come to campus or the outreach centers to register.

How do online courses work?

All you need is a computer, a modem, and an Internet Service Provider. From the Getting Started page we provide you with instructions for logging on to our system. Once you are logged on, the courses you registered for are available. Within each course you may find a course syllabus, course content, communication tools, and/or tests. Your instructor will communicate with you via email to supply assignments and due dates.

Are Internet classes the same as “regular” classes?

Internet classes do cover the same material as the same class delivered via another method and are often taught by the same instructor that teaches live classes on-campus.

How do I enroll in a non-credit class?

Call us at 733-7425 to register with the Jackson Office.


Consistent with its mission to value diversity and to treat all individuals with dignity and respect, Central Wyoming College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, or disability in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in its educational program services or activities. The college makes reasonable accommodations to serve students with special needs and offers services to students who have the ability to benefit.
©2010 Central Wyoming College - All Rights Reserved