Gear Up (Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs) establishes partnerships committed to serving and accelerating the academic achievement of cohorts of students through their high school graduation.
Educational Talent Search is a similar program, which works with students in grades 6-12.
To have a marked impact on preparing students to pursue and exceed in post-secondary education through partnering with schools, communities, students, and parents. To prepare students to be successful in and getting an education past high school by providing tutoring and college prep activities.
CWC offers Gear-Up program along with an Educational Talent Search program.
1. CWC-WY Gear Up (in partnership with the state of Wyoming) serving students in Riverton, Lander, Thermopolis and Jackson schools.
2. CWC Educational Talent Search, serving Arapahoe, St. Stephens, Wyoming Indian, Ft. Washakie Schools and students in Riverton and Lander in grades 6-12.
Gear Up/ETS are designed to increase academic performance and prepare students for post-secondary education
- Improve PAWS math scores; increase average daily attendance; timely promotion to next grade level
- Increase academic performance for post-secondary preparation and knowledge of post-secondary options, including financial aid
- Expose students to a college campus and attending workshops that help students become more familiar with the college environment.
- Assistance such as tutoring, mentoring and counseling to help students reach their goals
- Cultural events, College Academies and Career Fairs
Gear Up/ETS is designed to increase parental involvement, which will enhance the academic, emotional, and social growth of their children.
- Increase parent participation
- Increase parents' knowledge of post-secondary options and procedures
Gear Up will provide professional development opportunities related to increasing academic performance and preparing students for post-secondary education.
- Increase teacher knowledge of appropriate preparatory college advising methods
- Integrate Gear Up professional development activities and strategies into the math curriculum
- Availability of gateway courses
- Post-secondary preparedness
- Information on financial planning
- Opportunities for professional development for educators
- Partnerships with the community, business and parents
Gear Up/ETS Goals
- Strengthen the quality and quantity of support services, which will prepare and encourage more youth to pursue and be able to afford post-secondary education.
- Improve the professional skills of school personnel.
- Increase the involvement of low-income parents, which will enhance the academic, emotional and social growth of children.
- Improve the competency of youth over challenging subjects, math and science, as soon as they are promoted to the seventh grade.
- Provide assistance to students and families in applying for college and financial aid.