Library FAQs


Click on these topics to find the answers

Borrowing & RequestingInterlibrary Loan 
Your AccountReturning, Renewing & Fines
About the LibraryPrinting/Technology/Equipment


Library Services and Information – FAQs
How do I check out items from the library?
For CWC students or faculty/staff, you must complete a library privileges application either in the library or online. Once added to our database, you may check out items from the front desk located on the first floor of the library.
For CWC distance students, complete the library privileges application online. Once added to our database, you may check out items. Contact the library at 307-855-2141 to request the items you would like to check out. The library will mail items to you for no charge but you are responsible for the cost of returning the items to the CWC Library.
For Fremont County residents, you must use your public library card. If you do not have one, an application may be completed in the CWC Library.
All items are checked out to your account, which is designated by the barcode you are assigned. If you have a CWC ID, the barcode is printed on the back of your ID. If you are a distance student, the barcode number will be emailed to you as confirmation that your account has been established. If you are a public library card user, the barcode is printed on the back of your library card.
Who can check out materials from the CWC Library?
All current faculty, staff, Professor Emeriti, and students of CWC at all locations are eligible for library privileges. Also, CWC is a public library and therefore serves its local community. Public patrons have the same benefits as CWC faculty, staff, and students except they may not check out library or instructor reserves or use our Interlibrary Loan service. Public patrons also pay for printing from library computers. The CWC Library recognizes Wyoming public library cards from all libraries in the WYLD system and can issue Fremont County library cards to residents of Fremont County.
Can alumni borrow items from the library?
Yes, if they use their Wyoming public library card.
Can non-CWC students check out materials?
Yes, community members and students from high schools and other colleges may check out items that are not designated as instructor reserves if they use a Wyoming public library card.
Can students check out books from other college or university libraries?
Yes, students can check out books from other colleges or universities through Interlibrary Loan. Contact a librarian to place your request.
How many items can I check out at one time?
You may check out as many books as you would like; DVDs and videos are limited to three at a time; taped classes are limited to two.
Can I check out maps?
Yes, we have topographical, state park, state, and National Park maps that may be checked out for seven days. We also have map cases available for roll-up maps available for check out. Our most popular collection is our set of United States Geological Survey topographical maps of Wyoming.
Does the library have eBooks?
Yes, they are accessible to currently enrolled students, faculty, and staff. They can be found by searching our eBook Online Databases. We do not currently carry downloadable eBooks for e-Readers.
Can I borrow newspapers from the library?
No, but we are happy to let you read current and back issues in the library.
Can I check out magazines or journals?
Yes, for two weeks. Our current issues are located on the first floor and back issues are located on the second floor.
Can I check out DVDs?
Yes, we have both DVDs and VHS available for a seven-day check out.
Does the library have textbooks available for checkout?
No, but an instructor may place a required textbook on Instructor  or Course Reserve, which is located at the front desk of the library. These items are available on a first-come, first-serve basis and have limited check out periods. We do carry many items that are considered “required reading” by instructors.
Can you hold an item for me until I can pick it up?
Yes, you can call or email to request an item be held for you. We will hold items for seven days before reshelving them.
If I don’t have any ID with me, can I still check out items?
Yes, as long as we can verify your contact information to prove your identity.
Can I check out items from other libraries using my CWC ID?
Yes. The barcode you have been assigned, which is printed on the back of your CWC ID, serves as your library account number.
How do I find out if the CWC Library carries an item I need?
You can search the online library catalog, WYLDCAT, which is located on the library webpage. You can also contact us by phone 307-855-2141 or by email: Ask a Librarian for more information on accessing WYLDCAT.
What kind of equipment is available for check out?
Headphones, a laptop, tape recorders, calculators, a CD player, and a computer microphone are some of the equipment items available for check out. Keep in mind that most items are for in-library use only.
How long can I have items checked out?
It depends on what type of item you have checked out:
  • Archives: two hours, in-library
  • Audiobooks: four weeks
  • Books: four weeks
  • DVDs & Videos: seven days
  • Government Docs: Varies per item
  • Interlibrary Loans: Varies per item
  • Laptop: two hours, in-library
  • Maps: seven days
  • Microform: non-circulating
  • Music CDs: seven days
  • Periodicals: two weeks
  • Reference:  Non-circulating
  • Reserve Materials: Varies per item
What if the book I need is checked out to someone else?
There are three options:
  1. We can place our copy on hold for you and contact you when it is returned.
  2. You can place a hold on the item through WYLDCAT.
  3. We can order the item for you through ILL.
If something is checked out, can you tell me who has it or when it will be returned?
Due to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and other legal obligations we are prohibited from sharing information about patrons. We can tell you when an item is due to be returned. You can also see when items are due to be returned by looking at the item’s entry in WYLDCAT.

What is an Interlibrary Loan?
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) is the system of agreements that allows patrons of one library to borrow materials from another library. Items are mailed from the lending library to the requesting library and patrons are notified when they arrive.
How much does it cost to use Interlibrary Loan?
There is no charge for ILL services except in rare cases when the lending library imposes a fee. If this is the case, you will be asked to approve the charge beforehand. This service is only available for CWC students, faculty, and staff.
Is there a limit on how many Interlibrary Loan items I may request?
There is no limit on how many ILL requests you may place but the service takes both time and money from two libraries, so please be selective. We are happy to help you find the best choices for your needs.
How long does it take to get something ordered through ILL (Interlibrary Loan)?
Typically, items sent from a Wyoming library arrive within a week and out of state items can take up to two weeks. We ask that you allow ample time for your request to arrive.
Where do I pick up Interlibrary Loan items?
Items available for pick up are located at the front desk. If you cannot come to campus, contact a library staff member.
What kind of materials can be requested through ILL?
Books, articles, DVDs, maps, books on tape or CD, there are no restrictions on the types of library materials borrowed through Interlibrary Loan.  There may, however, be restrictions on the types of materials other libraries are willing to lend.
How long is the check out for Interlibrary Loan materials?
The checkout period is determined by the lending library and the lengths of time vary.
How will I know when Interlibrary Loan items are ready to pick up?
Using the contact information you provided us for your patron record, we will call you to let you know your materials have arrived. Please make sure your contact information is current.
Who can use Interlibrary Loan?
CWC staff and students may use Interlibrary Loan. Community members may access Interlibrary Loan services through their local public library.
Are there overdue fines on Interlibrary Loan materials?
Yes, CWC patrons with overdue ILL materials are charged $.25 per day, per item.
What if I never pick up an item I ordered through Interlibrary Loan?
After seven days, your item will be sent back to the lending library and your account will be charged a $1.00 per item fine.
Can Interlibrary Loan materials be renewed?
Contact the CWC Library at least three days before the due date. The CWC Library must contact the lending library to request the renewal but cannot grant a renewal without permission from the lending library.
Can I return materials if the library is closed?
You may return DVDs, books, and periodicals (magazines) in the outside book return box if the library is closed. The book return is located outside of Main Hall, near the fountain.
Can someone else return my materials for me?
Yes, anyone can return your materials to the library for you. We cannot tell them what else you have checked out, in case they should ask. Due to the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and other legal obligations we are prohibited from sharing information about patrons
Can I return non-CWC items to the CWC Library?
Yes, if the items belong to a Wyoming public library, we are happy to accept your return and get them back to the lending library. ILLs (Interlibrary Loans) that you checked out from the CWC Library must be returned to us for processing.
Can I renew my items?
Yes, items can be renewed in person at the front desk, by phone, or online through the online catalog, WYLDCAT. Please note when an item is renewed, the new due date will be calculated from the day you make the renewal request, not from the original due date. For example, if your book was due April 8 and on April 1 you request a renewal, the new due date would be May 1, four weeks from April 1, not four weeks from April 8, the original due date. Also, if your item(s) is already overdue, your renewal request may be denied. If it is accepted, you will still be responsible for any overdue charges that may have accrued.
How do I renew my items online?
From the CWC Library webpage (, click on WYLDCAT ADVANCED SEARCH to access our statewide system.
Click on MY ACCOUNT, located in the upper right of the page. On the MY ACCOUNT page, click on REVIEW MY ACCOUNT/RENEW MY MATERIALS. Type your library card number, which is your barcode number. This number is located on the back of your CWC ID or Wyoming public library card. If you are a distance student, this number was included in the confirmation email you received when your library privileges were created. Your PIN is WYLD, unless you changed it.
Click on DISPLAY USER INFORMATION or hit ENTER. On the MY ACCOUNT page, click on CHECKOUTS to view what is currently checked out to you. Check the box of the item you want to renew then click on RENEW SELECTED ITEMS, located at the lower left.
Some items may not renew. If you have any questions, please contact us at 307-855-2141 for further assistance.
How many times can I renew items?
You may renew most items once. If there is a hold on an item, meaning someone else is waiting on that item, you may not renew. If the item is an ILL (Interlibrary Loan) contact the CWC Library at least three days before the due date. The CWC Library must contact the lending library to request the renewal.
What should I do if I lose or damage a book?
Tell one of our staff members if you have lost or damaged an item. We will get back to you with a bill for replacing the item. You will also be responsible for any accrued fines since the due date.
What happens if I return something late?
The library will mail three notices to the mailing address we have on your library record. If an item is a fineable item, such as a DVD or Instructor Reserve, fines will begin to accrue on your account beginning the date they were due back to the library. There is a $10 fine cap per fineable item and if you accrue fines of $10 or more, your borrowing privileges are suspended. If you do not return what is due, you will be billed for the non-returned items and any accrued fines. If your fine balance is not below $10 and/or you still have items checked out by the end of the semester, you will be placed on gradehold. Note that notices are a courtesy and failure to receive a notice does not constitute the cancellation of fines or other charges.
When are overdue notices sent?
The 1st notice is mailed one day after an item is due. The 2nd notice is mailed 14 days after an item is due. The 3rd notice is mailed 30 days after an item is due. If an item has not been returned 40 days after the item’s due date, a bill for replacement (BFR) will be sent. If an item has not been paid for or returned, the patron will be sent to collections without additional notification. Notices are a courtesy and failure to receive a notice does not constitute the cancellation of fines or other charges.
How much are the fines for overdue items?
We do not charge overdue fines for the books in the main collection. It is your responsibility to get them in on time. Students with items non-returned items will be placed on gradehold at the end of each semester and will not be able to register for classes or get grades or transcripts. If you do not return items within three weeks of the due date, you will be billed for the cost of replacing the item.
A few items do accrue charges if not returned on time. DVDs and Instructor Reserves are $1 per day. We also charge $.25 a day for overdue Interlibrary Loans.
How do I pay for overdue fines, lost items, or other library charges?
You may pay by cash or check at the front desk, located on the first floor of the library. If you need to pay by credit card, please contact us for instruction.
What do I do if I receive an overdue notice for an item I returned?
Bring your notice to the library or call us at (307) 855-2141 with the notice details. Staff will check the shelves and processing areas in a timely manner to see if the item(s) are in the library. Staff will contact you with information on the search results.
Do I need to notify the library if my phone number changes or if I move?
Yes, the library needs to receive updates on your contact information.
Can someone else check out items using my name or ID?
No, because you are responsible for any lost or damaged items.
How can I check to see how many items I have checked out and when they are due?
From the CWC Library webpage, select WYLDCAT Advanced Search. Click on MY ACCOUNT, located on the upper right of the page. Select REVIEW MY ACCOUNT/RENEW MY MATERIALS to view your check outs and due dates.
Where is the library located?
The CWC Library is located in Main Hall, near Registration & Records.
When is the library open?
During Spring and Fall semesters, the library is open*:
  • Monday – Thursday: 7:30 a.m. – 10:30 p.m.
  • Friday:  7:30 a.m. – 5  p.m.
  • Saturday: 12 p.m. – 5 p.m.
  • Sunday: 2 p.m. – 9 p.m.
*The CWC Library is closed on weekends when a campus holiday falls on a Monday or Friday.
Our summer hours are:
  • Monday – Friday:  8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
How can I contact the library?
Feel free to contact the library by phone at (307) 855-2141 or email:
Where are new materials located in the library?
Our newest materials are displayed on a book shelf across from the library’s front desk. A list of our new items is also available online.
Is the library on Facebook or Twitter?
Yes, both! Find us on Facebook as Central Wyoming College Library or on Twitter as @CWCLibrary.
Does the library have a blog?
 Yes! Our blog site is
Does the CWC Library use the same classification system as the public library?
No, the CWC Library uses the Library of Congress Classification System. Most public libraries use the Dewey Decimal System.
Do you have a Lost & Found?
If personal items are found in the library, they are taken to the CWC Lost & Found located in the Mailroom, which is in the Students Activities Center.
How do I apply to work in the library?
Thanks for your interest! All student jobs are handled by the Human Resources department. You must apply online when seeking Student Employment. Be sure to list the library as a department of interest and provide your schedule of availability. 
Can I print in the library from my laptop?
No, we suggest you download your material to a portable storage device and use a PC in the Open Lab for your printing needs. The Open Lab is located on the first floor of the Library.
Can I access the library’s online databases from home?
Yes, nearly all the library’s resources are available to you by logging into MyCentral. There is a tab for the Library on the main page and the online databases are located in the center of the page.
Is there a fax machine in the library I can use?
Yes, we will fax CWC-related material for students for free. If it is not CWC-related, the cost is $.50 per sheet. We do not fax internationally. 
Is there a copier in the library I can use?
A library staff member can make B&W copies for you at $.10 a sheet.
Does the library have a scanner I can use?
Yes, there are several flatbed scanners available for use in the Open Lab, located on the first floor of the library.
Does the library have a microfilm/microfiche reader?
Yes, we have a microfilm/microfiche reader with printing capability. There is no charge to students for printing. Non-CWC students are charged $.10 per sheet. The reader is located on the first floor of the library.
My instructor put something on reserve. Where can I find it?
Instructor Reserves are kept behind the front desk, located on the first floor of the library. For easier service, please know the name of the item, the name of the class and its instructor. Click here to view tutorial on how to find instructor reserves through WYLDCAT.
WYLDCAT        top
How do reset my WYLDCAT PIN?
Click on WYLDCAT Advanced Search from the Library webpage at Click on My Account, located at the top of the page. You can choose Request My PIN to retrieve the PIN you already have or Change My PIN to create a new one. The default PIN is “wyld”.
How can I borrow an item when the status says “Missing”?
If an item’s status says “Missing,” the item is not on the shelf and cannot be checked out. We may be able to get the item for you through ILL (Interlibrary Loan). Contact a librarian for assistance.


Consistent with its mission to value diversity and to treat all individuals with dignity and respect, Central Wyoming College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, or disability in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in its educational program services or activities. The college makes reasonable accommodations to serve students with special needs and offers services to students who have the ability to benefit.
©2010 Central Wyoming College - All Rights Reserved