The Wyoming Legislature established a scholarship fund for Wyoming students to attend a Wyoming community college or the University of Wyoming. The legislation provides merit and need-based awards to eligible students to help them attend. The scholarship honors the late Gov. Stan Hathaway.
Two Easy Steps to Apply
If you are eligible for the Hathaway Scholarship, you must:
- Apply to Central Wyoming College online CWC Admissions (No Fee) Application.
- Send your most recent semester transcripts to the CWC Financial Aid Office.
CWC Financial Aid Office
Calculating Hathaway Need Awards
Students qualifying for the merit portion of Hathaway Scholarships who have completed and supplied the results of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), may qualify for additional need-based Hathaway Scholarship monies.
"Unmet need" is calculated in the following way:
CWC Cost of Attendance
Less: Estimated Family Contribution (determined by FAFSA)
Less: Hathaway Scholarship merit award per year
Less: Grants and Scholarships awarded to student
= Unmet Need
Qualifying students will receive a percentage of this unmet need based on their eligible scholarship level.
|Provisional Opportunity||25% of unmet need|
|Opportunity||25% of unmet need|
|Performance||25% of unmet need|
|Honors||100% of unmet need|
(This information is based on currently proposed legislation and is subject to change.)
Qualifying for the Hathaway Scholarship at CWC
Four levels of the Hathaway Scholarship are available to students at CWC:
- Provisional Opportunity (formerly known as Career)
Hathaway Scholarship Levels and Eligibility Requirements
| ||Provisional Opportunity||Opportunity||Performance||Honors|
|Merit Award Amount||$800/semester||$800/semester||$1200/semester||$1600/semester|
|Eligibility criteria: |
|Minimum HS GPA (cumulative) |
or minimum GED of 500
or minimum GED of 500
or minimum GED of 540
or minimum GED of 575
|Minimum ACT Score|
17(or a cum. score of at least 12 on applied math, reading for information and locating information on WorkKeys test)
|HS Curriculum ||Equal to graduation requirements set by Wyoming Department of Education|
|Length of Award ||Equivalent of first 4 FT Semesters at CC |
Additional 4 FT semesters of eligibility available:
(1) for a second certificate/degree at a CC if the Student earned a minimum 2.25 cumulative GPA; or
(2) for second degree at UW if the student earned a minimum 2.25 Cum GPA & admitted to UW
(3)pursuing a BAS degree at UW after earning an AAS degree; must have worked a minimum of 2 years.
|Equivalent of eight full-time semesters. Certificate or degree program at Wyoming community college or degree program at UW. Initial four semesters can be either at CWC or UW; the last four semesters can only be used at UW.|
|Continued Eligibility Requirements |
|Minimum College GPA (cumulative ||2.25||2.25||2.50||2.50|
|Complete 12 credits if full-time; six credits if part-time.|| |
|Enrollment Status ||Enrollment for at least two semesters per academic year|
|Eligible Schools ||Wyoming Community College |
Certificate or Degree Program
University of Wyoming
|Certificate or degree program at Wyoming community college or degree program at UW. Initial four semesters can be either at community college for a maximum of 4 semesters can be used at a CC or UW; the last four semesters can only be used at UW|
|Need Award Amount ** ||25% of annual unmet need., $100/semester minimum award. $750/semester maximum award.||100% of annual unmet need. $100/semester minimum award. Total unmet need is maximum award.|
High School Curriculum Requirements:
The Wyoming Department of Education requires that a student complete the following courses in high school:
|English/Language Arts||4 years|
|Social Studies||3 years|
|Foreign Language||2 years|
Additional Eligibility Requirements:
- Must be Wyoming resident, according to the following criteria:
- Students who graduate from a Wyoming high school
- Students who are Wyoming residents but graduates from an out-of-state high school or high school in another country are eligible for Hathaway under the following conditions:
- The student attended an eligible high school in Wyoming at some point during their high school education.
- The student's custodial parent or legal guardian was a Wyoming resident at the time the student applied for a Hathaway scholarship, as well as a Wyoming resident during the time the student was attending an eligible high school in Wyoming
- The student's absence from the state was due to the custodial parent's or legal guardian's employment or other conditions beyond the reasonable control of the parent or guardian.
- The student, or the student's parent or legal guardian must not have claimed residency in any other state or foreign country during the time the student was attending high school in the other state or foreign country.
- Student whose custodial parent or legal guardian is in active military service and maintains Wyoming as their domicile state.
The following students do not qualify for the Hathaway Scholarship:
- Students who are incarcerated
- Students who are in default or owe a refund on the Title IV or other federal or state education loan
- Students who are eligible, but have not complied with the United States selective service system requirements for registration
- Students who have been convicted of a felony (appeals can be heard through the Wyoming Department of Education)
Home Schooled Students
Students who are home schooled may also qualify for Hathaway Scholarships. Award levels for these students are basted on ACT scores only. These students must meet all other eligibility requirements other than GPA.
If you attended a Wyoming high school, did not graduate, took the GED, and your equivalent high school class has graduated, you may also qualify for a Hathaway Scholarship. Below are ACT and GED score requirements for Hathaway Scholarships. Students below a 550 GED do not qualify for UW admission.
|Provisional Opportunity||Minimum GED of 500, and minimum ACT of 17|
|Opportunity||Minimum GED of 500, and minimum ACT of 19|
|Performance||Minimum GED of 540, and minimum ACT of 21|
|Honors||Minimum GED of 575, and minimum ACT of 25|
GED students wishing to qualify for the Hathaway Scholarship Program must have taken the GED after April 1, 2006.
Part Time Students
Part-time students taking 6 to 11 credit hours per semester also qualify for Hathaway Scholarships. These students receive their eligible award in an amount proportionate to the hours they are taking.
All other eligibility requirements remain the same for part-time students.