Federal and state regulations require an institution to establish Standards of Satisfactory Progress for all students receiving federal and/or state financial aid; including Veterans' benefits. Applicants must maintain satisfactory academic progress both prior to and during the semesters aid is received.
Standards of satisfactory progress are as follows:
- Maintain a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average.
- Students are also expected to make “normal” progress toward their degree objective within a maximum timeframe. Students are eligible for financial aid at Central Wyoming College up to a total of 96 credit hours attempted. There must be a completion rate of 67% (2/3) of the cumulative attempted credit hours. Examples of this requirement:
|Enrolled credit hours per semester||Calculation of 67%||Minimum required to be completed per semester|
|20 ||(x .67) =||13|
|15||(x .67) =||10|
|12||(x .67) =||8|
|9||(x .67) =||6|
|6||(x .67) =||4|
- Completed courses with a grade of “D” or better will be counted as meeting the minimum requirements, including required remedial courses. Credits with the following grades will NOT be counted toward the minimum requirements: F (Failure); Z (Audit); X (Incomplete); U (Unsatisfactory); IP (In Progress), T (Temporary); W (Withdrawal); and WI (Withdrawal by Instructor).
- Failure to maintain the requirements in paragraphs 1 and 2 above will result in a warning status. Funding will be limited to one additional semester only if it can be reasonably expected the student can reinstate Standards of Satisfactory Progress at the end of the term, all federal financial aid (including Veterans benefits) will be canceled, the student is placed on probation status.
- NOTE: A student who finishes a semester with straights F's, W's or WI's (or any combination thereof) is immediately canceled and placed on probation status. All federal financial aid programs, including Veterans' benefits, will be canceled as the student will not be able to meet the Standards of Satisfactory Progress.
- If a student is canceled and placed on probation status, and they feel there are extenuating circumstances as to why they did not meet STANDARDS OF SATISFACTORY PROGRESS, they may file a written PETITION to appeal to reinstate financial aid. The PETITION and all supporting documentation must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office no later than two weeks prior to the start of the term.
NOTE: CREDITS ATTEMPTED WHILE NOT RECEIVING FINANCIAL AID WILL ALSO BE COUNTED TOWARD THE MAXIMUM CREDITS ALLOWED. Students who need longer to complete their degree objectives may submit a written appeal to the Financial Aid Office no later than two weeks prior to the start of the term.