Academic and Support Services
We offer a variety of ways to assist students in achieving academic success.
Students attending CWC can expect support throughout their academic journey. These include
Success Coaching and Academic Advising
We offer academic advising for all students through a success coaching model. Success coaching is all about helping you achieve your goals with support and guidance.
Success coaches work to understand and explore your ambitions, goals and identify obstacles to help you select the classes that will support your educational plan such as requirements for two-year degrees and/or transferring to a four-year institution.
At first, CWC students meet with a general success coach and are then additionally assigned to a full-time faculty advisor in the area of study chosen. While the ultimate responsibility for decision-making and educational plans rests with the student working with their success coach, faculty advisors can be valuable resources. Success coaches and faculty advisors assist students with:
- Identification and clarification of life and career goals
- Selection of appropriate courses and other educational opportunities
- Evaluation of progress toward established goals
- Referral to other campus and community resources when appropriate
General success coaches are located in Rustler Central.
Office hours are Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Appointments are encouraged, but drop-ins are availabe when possible. Faculty advisors maintain regular office hours during the academic term.
TRiO-Student Support Services
TriO is a support pogram offered to students with specialized needs. A variety of programming and support helps students continue their education.
You may be eligible for TRiO support services if you are citizen or legal resident of the United States and at least one of these fits you:
- You are a student who has not already earned a college degree.
- You are a first generation college student (neither parent had bachelor’s degree before you turned 18 years of age).
- You meet federal low income guidelines.
- You have a documented physical or learning disability.
- You meet U.S. Veteran status.
Trio offers the following services:
- Academic advising, including registration, assistance in financial aid and scholarship process and support.
- Personal counseling, success coaching, mentoring, advocacy, time management and goal setting.
- Special opportunities such as tutoring, transfer options, equipment lending program, skills development and additional funds for qualifying students.
TRiO support offices are located in the Student Success Center: Main Hall 123. Applications are available at the Student Success Center and at Rustler Central.
Computer Assisted Learning Lab (CAL Lab)
The CAL Lab, located in Main Hall121, is an open lab available for CWC student use from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Tutoring assistance is available.
The Student Support Services Tutor Program is available to: encourage independent, critical thinking skills, support completion of course work, personalize the learning process and increase student confidence and success.
Tutoring is offered in individual and group settings, in a variety of subjects including pre-college classes, core subject areas and specialty classes.
Tutoring services are offered in a variety of methods, based on Student Support Service program hours, tutor schedules and student needs.
For more information contact the Student Support Services Education/Skills Development Coach at 307-855-2117.
Meet our Student Support Services staff
Lisa Appelhans is the Student Support Services Program Education/Skills Development Coach.
Deryle is here to support you on your academic journey.
Matt cares about your success.
Paula Hartbank is the Student Support Services Program Education and Transfer Coordinator